Thursday, October 1, 2015

#ThrowBackThursday: Sexy Irish Poetry

Here's an old poem I wrote when I was feeling particularly powerful and sexy. Most of my poetry has a sexy aspect to it, because I'm one of those women who feels empowered by her sexuality. I don't think this is an altogether bad thing. I just worry that it makes me a one trick pony when it comes to poetry.

This poem marries the theme of sexuality with images from Irish history. I used to be quite knowledgeable about Irish history and Michael Collins in particular. Something about Ireland's fight for independence from England has always fascinated and inspired me. In this poem I reference the famed freedom fighter Michael Collins and his place of death: Be'al na Bla'th. If you want to know more about these things, you should check out the link above.

Now for the poem. Enjoy!


Be’al na Bla’th

I think far too highly of rakish young men
With a certain slant of nose or sideways smile
They all become Michael Collins in my eyes
Tho’ the only eyes that burn with fire are mine

These young men grab hold of my notions and run
Thinking they’re some sort of scholar or prophet or hero
Underestimating me entirely – not knowing or remembering
That all they ever were is everything I am

Before too long these rakish young men have traded
My free state for a Republic – a country united
So I lure them so sweetly, so softly, discreetly
To the fields at Be’al na Bla’th.

For the sparks behind their eyes
Were born of the fire in mine
Sparks sputter and fade
But embers never die

My body waits atop the hill
My hips are but hands that hold the gun
Eyes grow narrow as thighs do part
My words they pierce the tender flesh
I made and unmade all these rakish young men
I lost the Free State and the Republic
So what have I really won?

Michael Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment