Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tuesday Throw-Down #1

Hi! Welcome to my blog! I hope you stick around. I have all sorts of literary fun planned for this space and I can't wait to get started. It's Tuesday, and I'm going to hit the ground running with the first Tuesday Throw-Down.

"What is a Tuesday Throw-Down?"

I'm so glad you asked.

A Tuesday Throw-Down is where I give you a prompt and we all  free-write about it for 250 to 500 words. If you want, you can leave your free-write in the comments and on Thursday I will post the best ones of the lot. There might even be prizes involved. Sounds fun, right? When you're finished, please leave your word count at the bottom of the post in parenthesis. Thanks!

Are you ready?

The prompt for September 1, 2015 is:

Write about the first time you did something new: Tried a new food, started a new job, got a new hairstyle. Use your imagination and tell us about how you experience the feeling of "new." 

Since I don't want you to feel alone, here's my answer:

I was at UWF's annual Midnight Breakfast, an event held the week of finals to boost student morale. Studying can be hard work, especially if you are pulling all nighters to write papers and cram every bit of knowledge you can into your cranium. The Midnight Breakfast allows the students to cut loose a little, wear their PJs to the dining hall, and eat some tasty, tasty breakfast food in the middle of the night.

 I was an RA at the time, so the event was not all fun and games for me as I had to work while I was there. Usually this consisted of cleaning off tables or counting heads as they came through the door, so it wasn't as though it were strenuous work. As I was cleaning off a table, I saw a UWF Housing worker putting ketchup on an omelet.

"That looks disgusting," I said as I moved around him. He and the people he was sitting with exclaimed, "Oh no! It's the bomb. Have you tried it?"

"Well, no." I said.

"Here, have a a bite." said the man with the ketchuppy omelet. I wrinkled my nose and had a bite.

I was like the little guy in "Green Eggs and Ham" at that moment.

"Say, this is good." The flavors exploded in my mouth. The tangy ketchup melded perfectly with the savory egg, ham, and cheese. I couldn't believe it. I apologized to my co-worker and went to get my own omelet. I was a convert.

(253 words)


No comments:

Post a Comment