Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Word Nerd Wednesday: Grift

It's Word Nerd Wednesday! This week's word is:

GRIFT
verb: to engage in petty swindling
noun: a petty swindle
'
"Hey, you kid! Stop trying to grift for food! I've already told you, No ice-cream."

The first time I remember hearing the word "grift" was in a song from the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack called "The Long Grift." Through context alone, I was able to discern the meaning of the word and incorporate it correctly into my vocabulary. Apparently, this word is not a common one though, as the following video will serve to illustrate:


"The Long Grift"

Look what you've done,you gigalo
You know that I love you, hon
And I didn't wanna know
That your cool, seductive serenade
Was just a tool of your trade, you gigalo

Of all the riches you've surveyed
And all that you can lift
I'm just another dollar that you've made
In your long, long grift

Look what you've done, you gigalo
Another hustle has been run
And now you oughta know
That this fool can no longer be swayed
By the tools of your trade, you gigalo

I'm just another John you've gypped
Another sucker stiffed
A walk on role in the script
Of your long, long grift

The love that had me in your grip
Was just a long, long grift

No comments:

Post a Comment